Thursday, April 30, 2015
Librarianship Studies & Information Technology: Information Access Through The Subject : An Annot...
Librarianship Studies & Information Technology: Information Access Through The Subject : An Annot...: Information Access Through The Subject : An Annotated Bibliography / Salman Haider . Online : OpenThesis , 2002.
Friday, April 24, 2015
Resource Description & Access (RDA): RDA Rules Toolkit & LC-PCC PS Revision: RDA Rules Toolkit &LC-PCC PS Revision
TOPIC 1: Changes in RDA Content
TOPIC 2: Change in Content in LC-PCC PSs
TOPIC 3: Functional Changes in the RDA Toolkit
Thursday, April 23, 2015
- Personal Websites on Weebly, Wix, and Google Sites
- Worked for an Acquisition Project of Collection and Processing of Hindi Posters on "Women's Issues".
- Prepared an annotated bibliography titled Information Access Through The Subject covering Subject Indexing, Classification, Artificial Intelligence, Expert Systems, and subject approaches in bibliographic and non bibliographic databases etc. Note : The project (annotated bibliography) was worked out as M.Lib.&I.Sc. Dissertation under the supervision of Prof. Shabahat Husain, Chairman, Dept. of LIS, A.M.U., Aligarh
- Participated in a Project on compilation of Indian National Bibliography for Central Reference Library, Govt. of India in Apprenticeship on Library and Information Science (1st-30th January 2004)
- Panel discussion "Unlimited Possibilities in Your Library: Vision for Future" on 14 April 2015, held at American Center, New Delhi.
- Webinar on Cataloger's Desktop 3.0 on Tuesday, October 27, 2009, hosted by the Cataloging Distribution Sevice of the Library of Congress.
- International Conference on National Library Services (ICONLIS-2004) held at Taj Bengal Hotel, Kolkata during 15-16 March 2004.
- Seminar on Changing Face of Libraries and Access to E-Content: From E-Journals to E-Books, organized by Informatics India Ltd., held at Green Park Hotel, Hyderabad on 20th January 2005.
CITATIONS, REFERENCES & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Articles, papers, and presentations by Salman Haider on Library and Information Science published in peer-reviewed journals, books, encyclopedias, and presented in conferences. Following are the articles published by Salman Haider, besides his 500+ articles written in his Library and Information Science blogs:
CONFERENCES / SEMINARS
- Haider, Salman. Resource Description and Access. In Encyclopædia Britannica, posted 11/22/2016. https://www.britannica.com/topic/library/Cataloging#toc336276 (accessed December 2016).
- Haider, Salman. Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules. In Encyclopædia Britannica, posted 11/22/2016. https://www.britannica.com/topic/library/Cataloging#toc336275 (accessed December 2016).
- Haider, Salman; Estabrook, Leigh S.; Foskett, Douglas John; Francis, Frank C. Library. In Encyclopædia Britannica, posted 11/22/2016. https://www.britannica.com/topic/library (accessed December 2016).
The Encyclopædia Britannica (Latin for "British Encyclopaedia"), published by Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., is a general knowledge English-language encyclopaedia. It is written by about 100 full-time editors and more than 4,000 contributors, who have included 110 Nobel Prize winners and five American presidents. Past contributors included Albert Einstein, Sigmund Freud, Marie Curie, Leon Trotsky, Harry Houdini, George Bernard Shaw, Bertrand Russell, and many, many others. The Britannica is the oldest English-language encyclopaedia still in production. It was first published between 1768 and 1771 in the Scottish capital of Edinburgh, as three volumes. Britannica is published in the United States since 1901. In March 2012, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. announced it would no longer publish printed editions and would focus instead on Encyclopædia Britannica Online.
CONFERENCES / SEMINARS
- Haider, Salman. Recent Trends in Cataloguing With Special Reference to OPACs. In MULSA Annual Seminar, Aligarh, Mar 25, 2001; Department of Library and Information Science, Aligarh Muslim University, 2001; 115-120.
MEMBERSHIPS OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
MEMBERSHIPS OF ONLINE FORUMS
Salman Haider is a member of following online forums, groups, communities, and listservs.
- MARC forum of the U.S. Library of Congress.
- LIS-Forum of the Indian Institute of Science (IISc.)
- DLRG of the Documentation Research and Training Centre (DRTC)
Professional achievements, felicitations, and awards won by Salman Haider in his career as a librarian and cataloger:
- Customer Service Award at Library [August 2015]. [CITATION: For your exemplary service and extraordinary effort.]
- Extra-Mile Award at Library . [CITATION: Mr. Salman Haider, Senior Cataloger/Selector in the Cataloging Division, is hereby awarded an Extra Mile Award for having successfully implemented RDA, a new international cataloging standard, while carrying out his regular duties and special assignments in a highly commendable manner.]
- Meritorious Honor Award at Library . [CITATION: Meritorious Honor Award in recognition to outstanding performance delivered during the past three years, in spite of significant additional responsibilities and fewer resources.]
- Made as One Point Contact for all the Library Technical Processing Activities at ISB Library. .
- Team Leader for ‘Foreign Official Documents’ section (FOD) and the ‘Indian Official Documents’ Section (IOD) of the National Library of India for the National Library MARC-21 Retro Conversion Project .
Librarian at the Library, from August 2005 till date.
Responsibilities : Cataloging South Asian materials for the Library in all formats and all subjects with RDA (Resource Description & Access), LCPS (Library of Congress Policy Statements) and MARC-21, previously with AACR-II, Library of Congress Rules Interpretations, and MARC-21. Creating bibliographic and authority records to be uploaded into the Library catalog, OCLC and RLIN using Exlibris Voyager and OCLC Connexion softwares.
Subject cataloging of titles in accordance with the Library of Congress Classification Scheme and LCSH. Assigning existing subject headings and classification numbers to new titles. Proposing new subject headings and classification numbers to be added to the official Library of Congress Subject Headings and classification schedules.
Consultant at the Learning Resource Centre, Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad, from April 30, 2004 to May 22, 2005.
Profile : ISB is a research oriented International Business School growing at a fast pace, which has affiliation with top business schools in the world, such as Kellogg, Wharton, and London Business School. The library of the School is evolving to be one of the best B-School libraries in Asia. Learning Resource Centre (LRC), the Library of ISB has been awarded 8th IFLA International Marketing Award.
Responsibilities : Technical Processing (Classification in DDC21, Cataloging in AACR and MARC-21, Accessioning), Circulation duties using VTLS software, providing Reference and Information Services using 27 Business Databases, Serial Control (Serial Ordering, Receiving, Accessioning, Sending Reminders to Vendors, Maintaining Various Files, etc.). Collection Development (Book Selection, Ordering, Receiving, Accessioning, etc.). Financial Management (Invoice Processing, Bills Clearance, and Payments for Documents). Capturing information for various Information Products of LRC (Industry Watch, Article Alert, Job Watch).
Library Technician in the National Library Retro-conversion Project for Enter Technologies Pvt. Ltd. from February to April 2004.
Profile : The National Library (Kolkata), India, is the largest library in the country. It is an institution of National importance under the 'Department of Culture, Ministry of Tourism & Culture, Government of India'.
Responsibilities : Cataloguing using MARC-21 & AACR-II. Searching retrieving and editing bibliographic data, extracted from the Library of Congress (USA) database through the Z39.50 interface of NGTLMS.net. Leading and supervising a team in technical processing of books.
Apprenticeship on Library and Information Science from Central Reference Library (Kolkata), Govt. of India, Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Department of Culture, from 1st-31st January 2004.
Profile : Central Reference Library works as National Bibliographic Center and prepares Indian National Bibliography , a systematic list of books received under D. B. Act by National Library, Kolkata.
Responsibilities : Classification using DDC19 and CC-6, Cataloguing using AACR-II, Entry of bibliographical data of English documents in computer using LIBSYS software. Data entry of Hindi documents in LIBSYS using GIST technology, Data Generation for Indian National Bibliography.
Academic achievements and awards won by Salman Haider during his studies:
- Award of S. Bashiruddin – P. N. Kaula Gold Medal in M.L.I.S. . Awarded for achieving highest marks in Library Classification Theory and Library Classification Practice papers of Master of Library and Information Science in AMU.
- First Division and Second Position in M.L.I.S. .
- Award of Post Graduate Merit Scholarship in M.L.I.S. 
- First Division in B.L.I.S. 
- Award of Under Graduate Merit Scholarship in B.L.I.S. 
- First Division in B.Sc. 
Master of Library and Information Science (M.L.I.S.), A.M.U., Aligarh, India, 2002.
Subjects: Library Classification, Research Methods and Statistical Techniques, Information Technology, Information Storage and Retrieval, Knowledge, Information, and Communication.
Bachelor of Library and Information Science (B.L.I.S.), A.M.U., Aligarh, India, 2001.
Subjects: Fundamentals of Library & Information Science, Library Classification, Library Cataloging, Library Management.
Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.), Lucknow University, India, 1999.
Subjects: Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science.
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
Resource Description & Access (RDA): Clarification of Role in Statement of Responsibili...: Question on Clarification of Role in Statement of Responsibility : RDA Rule 126.96.36.199 by Omar Hernández Perez: Hi What language is add a...
Monday, April 20, 2015
Librarianship Studies & Information Technology: Librarianship Studies & Information Technology (LS...
Librarianship Studies & Information Technology: Librarianship Studies & Information Technology (LS...: About Librarianship Studies & Information Technology (LS & IT) Blog Learn librarianship and information technology with Libr...
Librarianship Studies & Information Technology: Revised Pages of LS & IT Blog: LS & IT BLOG PAGES REVISION Librarianship Studies & Information Technology ( LS & IT ) Blog has following pages. The...
Librarianship Studies & Information Technology: Revised Posts of LS & IT Blog: Following are recently revised posts of LS & IT Blog:
Wednesday, April 15, 2015
Friday, April 10, 2015
Wednesday, April 08, 2015
Resource Description & Access (RDA): 246 - Varying Form of Title - MARC 21: Library of Congress >> MARC >> Bibliographic >> 1XX >> 246 Your Browser doen't support for Iframe ! See...
Wednesday, April 01, 2015
Resource Description & Access (RDA): RDA Cataloging Rules for Pseudonyms with MARC 21 E...: Definition Pseudonym A name used by a person (either alone or in collaboration with others) that is not the person’s real name. ( RDA Too...